Harbourside Family Counseling Centre (HFCC) is a multidisciplinary health centre that provides services to people of all ages, skills and abilities. Our services are uniquely designed to enhance resilience, health, and quality of life for every client. We work collaboratively, ensuring that clients and families are informing the goals of service and fully included in the areas that matter most. Our community partners include the Ministry for Children and Families (MCFD), Autism Funding Unit (AFU) and Community Living British Columbia (CLBC).
MCFD Funded Programs
HFCC offers a ministry-funded clinical counseling treatment program for children and youth with developmental disabilities. Some of the treatment approaches offered at HFCC include:
- Play Therapy
- Parent Coaching
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
- Somatic Psychotherapy
Referrals to this Global Program are made directly through your MCFD social worker.
Services to Individuals with Autism
HFCC has provided services to individuals with Autism for over 20 years, and offers a variety of group and individualized programs designed to honour the unique needs of people with ASD. Some of the evidence- based approaches used include behaviour consultation and intervention, cognitive behavioural therapy, social skills development and neurofeedback.
CLBC Funded Programs: Host Agency
Host Agency Funding is an Individualized Funding (IF) payment option that CLBC offers to adult individuals and their families. As a Host Agency, HFCC manages your funds and works with you, arranging and managing the supports that best fit your needs. This means less responsibility and paperwork for you and the freedom to contribute to the most important decisions about your life. We hold your funds on your behalf and select and employ support workers, professionals and caregivers that are right for you. Our goal as a Host Agency is to provide you with a flexible approach to meeting your highest goals, while arranging, managing and paying for your supports and services.
Our support workers are uniquely qualified to use scientifically based life coaching skills to help you (or your child) achieve your goals step-by-step. Life coaching helps you discover and examine a vision for your life, overcome obstacles and choose a course of action to help you fully thrive. You, the client, are the only expert in your life and life coaches help you make the kinds of choices that will lead to an effective, balanced and fulfilling life.
HFCC life coaches specialize in the following areas:
- Confidence, Self Worth & Self Esteem
- Career – Finding a School Program & Job That Works
- Hot Buttons – Managing Anger, Upsets, Frustration and Stress
- Food, Nutrition, & Optimal Health
- Self Care – Getting Your Own Needs Met
- Relationships – Creating Connections That Work
- Sexuality – Healthy Intimacy
Finding a sense of connection in our community is one of the highest predictors of happiness and well-being. HFCC support workers help you (or your child) to develop lasting relationships by:
- Discovering core interests and values
- Helping to find people and groups that best fit those interests and values
- Fine-tuning relational skills to bolster connections
HFCC can help you build meaningful connection in your own community and/or match you with like-minded individuals within the HFCC Community Network. The HFCC Community Network includes a variety of formal and informal programs:
Children Programs (Ages 5-12)
- CHI Kids – This program teaches essential mind-body tools to minimize stress, build resiliency and develop heart-mind connection. See thechikids.com for more on this celebrated program.
- Superflex – Based on the work of Michelle Garcia Winner, this group teaches core social emotional skills, social behaviour regulation and social thinking ability.
- Friends Together – This approach teaches children key friendship skills in small, 2-3 group formats. The1:1 attention sets children up for greater success and matches their needs and interests with a like-minded friend.
Adult Programs (A) and Teen Programs (T)
- Men’s Group (A) – This group meets weekly at the HFCC location and focuses on a variety of topics directed by the interests and goals of the participants.
- Shape Program (A or T)– 10 weeks of sexual health information, including demystifying sexuality, relationships and the impact/role of technology in sexual health.
- Adventure Club (A or T) – This program empowers participants with new challenges; outings include, hiking, indoor rock climbing, kayaking and a variety of other adventures.
- Jobs Plus (A) – 10 weeks of job preparation, including interest and strength discovery, job seeking prep, interviewing skills, entrepreneurial exploration and action plans.
- Master Chef (A) – In this group participants learn the art of cooking great meals with guest chefs and knowledgeable nutritionists.
One of the biggest blocks to meeting our highest goals can be our day-to-day actions or behaviours. Behaviour Consultation and Interventions at HFCC address these behavioural roadblocks using the science of Applied Behaviour Analysis. By taking an objective look at your behaviours we can help you address them, teaching you the kinds of skills that will produce long lasting positive changes in your quality of life.
Our team works alongside families, caregivers, teachers, social workers and community professionals to provide collaborative person-centred interventions. Our services are utilized across a variety of settings including home and group home, schools, day programs and community.
Respite provides clients and their families with an opportunity for self-care and greater independence. Families can use this service in the manner that best suits their unique circumstances. Respite service may be delivered in your family home, the home of a respite provider, or within the community. HFCC recruits, screens, monitors, and pays for the delivery of respite services.
Job coaches at HFCC assist job seekers to prepare for, secure and maintain competitive, community-based employment. We’ll assist you to find competitive employment in your community, remove barriers to employment and discover a more flexible approach to paid work.
Employment is a first priority for individuals served by HFCC.
COGMED WORKING MEMORY TRAINING
The Cogmed training program was developed by the world’s leading neuroscientists and psychologists to improve working memory functions, creating a cognitive platform for behavioural improvement. Cogmed has shown to result in significant academic and behavioural improvements in children with ADHD and other developmental disorders, including improved impulse control, reduction in hyperactivity, stronger language development skills and better complex reasoning skills, as well as increased focus, and improved professional performance in healthy individuals.
MINDFULNESS AND THERAPEUTIC YOGA
Mindfulness and therapeutic yoga integrates posture, meditation and breath work together into a treatment plan that supports a client’s overall mental health and optimal cognitive functioning. The low-risk, high yield practice has shown to be particularly effective for clients with developmental disabilities and concurrent anxiety disorders, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, head injuries, as well as difficulties with concentration and focus.
Treatment and Support Coordination
HFCC is a full service integrated health centre with licensed and skilled professionals. Our support coordination service is developed based on the unique needs of you and your family and may include any of the following:
- Counseling consultation/assessment/therapy
- Behaviour Consultation/Intervention
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Integrative Nutrition
- Fitness Consultation
- Advocacy and Referral
HFCC Core Values
At HFCC we’re committed to the honouring the strengths, goals and aspirations of each client. We ensure all approaches are evidence-based, support independence, community inclusion and mind-body health.
How can I refer?
HFCC accepts both self-referrals and referrals from professionals in the community.